Can you make money for nothing? Are there free lunches? Join Jamz and Sarz in their quest for internet money.

Friday, August 28, 2009

But you don't have to take my word for it...

So, this has nothing to do with being a LazyE today, mostly because I'm super sad. The PBS staple Reading Rainbow airs for the final time today after a 26 year run.



Even though there haven't been any new episodes filmed since 2006, reruns have continued to teach children that reading is awesome and that you'll never forget that damned song as long as you live.

I watched this show EVERY SINGLE DAY for years and years and absolutely loved LeVar Burton. I would go to the library and read the books suggested on the show even when I was an older child, because he never suggested crap. He was like, my childhood reading hero. Shit, he even did a Reading Rainbow show about Star Trek: The Next Generation (Gates McFadden is so hot) where he played the be-VISOR'd Lt. Commander Geordi LaForge. How cool was that?!

Check out some of the names on this list of contributors to the show. That's no joke. It's always sad when a show that was so influential in your childhood, and the childhood of so many others, stops being produced, but surely someone will see the importance of keeping this show on the air in reruns?



Hey LeVar, thanks for teaching me and countless other children in the 80s, 90s and beyond to love books. Thanks for teaching me about equality, theater, prison, love, race, poverty, family and humanity. Thanks for touching my life and opening up new worlds for me.

I'll see you next time...

0 Comments: